(Bradford owned 31 slaves in 1850 and 35 slaves in 1860) This plantation is located in section 32/33, Township 48 Range 12, near 63 Hwy and Ponderosa Street, not far from Nifong Park.
According to the 1882 Boone County history, page 618, it is on this plantation farm where the Little Bonne Femme sank and later emerged from a cave at Rockbridge Mill (State Park).
Rock Bridge State Park, Columbia, Boone County, Missouri Payne (Plantation), Rocheport - big house (1850 owned 8 slaves and by 1860 he held 16 slaves.) Moses Payne was in the cotton trade, owning a cotton mill in Montgomery County, Missouri.
(See "The History of the Cotton Culture of Central Missouri") He and his brothers also owned and operated other cotton related businesses in the Delta deep south.
These slave entrenched farms were almost always built in the traditional plantation plan, which utilizes the "plantation block plan" used throughout the Upper South.
In some locations in Little Dixie, as many as 9 to 12 slaves or more were housed in a single unit.
Listed on these pages are those Missouri Little Dixie farms, plantation estates, and town houses (the largest are a "Villa") that are known to have had or still have slave quarters.
Estates where owners enslaved 20 African Americans or more are denoted as a plantation, which is the accepted criteria used by most historians.
For these owners we should commend them for saving these important historical sites. Clark mansion, "Graceland" - big house, 2 slaves in 1850 and 1 in 1860 Audrain County Historical Society, owners of "Graceland" County David Guitar Town Villa, endangered - big house, slave quarters (6 slaves in 1860), and other period outbuildings Greenwood & Maplewood Plantations (Lenoir Family) - (2) big houses, slave quarters, and other period outbuildings (Greenwood: 23 slaves in 1830s, 19 slaves in 1840, 27 in 1850, 18 slaves in 1860 living in 3 slave houses.) Gordon Manor, demolished after a fire c. brought his family, 26 slaves and other personal property from Kentucky and began building this beautiful Classical Revival mansion c.
1820s Judge Hiram Phillips farm - big house and 2 slave quarters (all demolished), 11 slaves in 1860 Haydon Plantation, endangered, Ashland - big house (14 slaves in 1850 and 21 slaves in 1860) William B Hunt farm - big house, Hunt and his mother owned 12 slaves Forrest Hill Plantation, Bass home, demolished for new highway c.